Thursday, February 12, 2015

Blogging at 1 AM...Because.

I simply cannot sleep.  This whole eating food and drinking water thing I have been doing makes me energetic, Whoda' Thunk?  Instead now I am excessively playing World of Warcraft and YouTubing dressage lessons.

So lesson recap!  Also titled "OMFG! SQUEE!".

I arrived to the barn nervously, pulled out my best jockey charm (It is a thing) and greeted Mr. McGrath enthusiastically.  He had just finished working with the resident Friesian and I swiftly tacked up a very unhappy Lux.  He didn't get to go outside and play because the trainer was coming.

It started out rough.  Beastie threw his head up and around and fell into corners, tried to rush and use his most ungraceful, full speed paces.  Yet, alas, after about 10 minutes magic happened.  Ken called out kind, and not crazy-nazi-dressage-guy-like, commands.  Beastie's head fell and he started reaching for the bridle gently.  Now racehorses do this as well but when they do they usually are looking to pick a fight or bait their rider into picking up the bridle, which gives them an excuse to take off with you.  It was nerve wracking for me too because I typically avoid this, if a horse reaches into my hands I retreat like "Ohhhhhh, No Buddy! I ain't falling for that one!".So as I followed orders and Lux slowly starting dropping his head and trying to find contact I bailed out the other way.  I had to tell myself that this was what we wanted and eventually I relaxed too.

We managed to slow down our trot to a casual jog in a hunter-esque frame, which I was told was a good starting point with a thoroughbred who has the tendency to carry his head really high.  Beastie also got a compliment, we were told he had a great build and carriage for a dressage horse!  Something about his neck, which I'll ask about later when I'm not so terrified of the man.

We also attempted a canter, which was messy because he is a wee bit fresh considering we live in Polar Vortex central and I don't ride ANYTHING if it's below 0 degrees, paid or not, Got a problem with that? Suck it.  FYI, I actually have told trainers that in the past...

ANYWHO...messy canter.  We did a Mach 5 20 meter circle (circle-like shape, whatever).  Seriously.  Ken casually and calmly asked me to slow it down as I almost ran him down two or three times.  Eventually beastie chilled and even though we had some lead confusion he settled into it and came around quick.  Seriously quick, in one lesson we came SO far.

Both of us.  I'm so proud of the sucker though, he really tried and was so patient even when I became confused.  We do have a journey ahead of us but regardless we are headed in the right direction!  DIB or Mom might be coming with next week, so pictures then!  I'd love everyone to review some and tell me what you think.  Until then...

Peace, Love, & Ponies.

S2

7 comments:

  1. First lessons with trainers are always nerve wracking, sounds like ye made super progress and are working with a good egg (hose & trainer) ☺
    I hope the ribs are feeling better and that post - jockey life adventures treat you well. Finding and striving for new dreams is challenging and terrifying in equal measure. Lean on blogging community to vent and celebrate, we are all here to help as best we can without being physically near. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loled at your 'if you actually eat and drink!' Sounds like a great lesson, can't wait for pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always nerve-wracking to work with someone new, but it sounds like you had a great first lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how much you can get out of even one dressage lesson. I've had three (over the past couple months) and it's made my OTTB into a whole new horse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds super productive - glad you got so much out of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! This is awesome. Can't wait to hear about your future lessons. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got an OTTB reaching into the contact in the first dressage lesson, that's really good! I know what you mean about dressage trainer's having a tendency to be terrifying initially too. Most are pretty much nice, but it sucks if you get one that's a high maintenance asshole. Also, anyone trying to track horses when it's that cold deserve to be told to piss off. I'm so glad that the lesson went well! I can't wait to see pictures of you and Lux :)

    ReplyDelete